Studying in Canada to immigrate


For many, graduating with a diploma or degree from a Canadian Approved Institute of Education is one of the best ways to qualify for permanent residence in Canada. Foreign students enrolled in such an institute enjoy several advantages:

They can work up to 20 hours per week while studying. More information can be found in the section Working while studying in Canada.
They can stay and work in Canada for up to 3 years after graduation. More information on Applying for permanent residence after graduating in Canada.
They can also apply for permanent residence after graduating from a designated Canadian learning institution. More information on Applying for permanent residence after graduating in Canada
Because in Canada, depending on the school chosen by the student, education is provided in French or English, foreign students wishing to enrol in a Canadian university, technical or vocational school have to demonstrate a minimum level of proficiency in those languages in order to be admitted to the programme of their choice. When a candidate’s language skills are insufficient, they may be accepted on the condition that they take a supplementary language course in order to achieve and demonstrate the minimum level required. These courses can have a duration of a few weeks up to 1 year, depending on the candidates’ pre-arrival language skills.

Authorised Education Institutes
Only after successful completion of certain programmes from a specific list of educational institutes prepared by the Government recognised as Approved Institutes of Education, may a foreign student be allowed to apply for immigration to Canada. All elementary and secondary educational institutions in Canada are automatically designated as approved institutes, and therefore do not appear on the list of Approved Institutes of Education. Each province and territory in Canada is responsible for the designation of schools at the post-secondary level where international students can enrol and pursue their permanent residence application process. Only the list of Approved Institutes of Education at the post-secondary level is available.

Requirements to enter Canada as a student
Once admitted to the study programme of their choice, foreign students need a Canadian study permit, as Canadian study programmes eligible for immigration to Canada have a duration of at least 1 year. In addition, all persons who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada must apply for and receive a visitor’s visa or an electronic travel authorisation (ETA) in order to enter Canada to study. As a general rule, a visa is required to enter Canada, however citizens of countries with visa waiver agreements need an electronic travel authorisation (ETA) to travel to Canada. Find out if you need an ETA or a Visa

Siminca will prepare and submit your study permit at the same time as your visa or ETA application, depending on your situation. At the same time Siminca will help you identify and register for a study program eligible for immigration to Canada.


Leave a Comment