Studying in Canada: an accelerated process


Colombia, Peru and Costa Rica are among the countries eligible for the accelerated and simplified process for applications for study permits to Canada, as of 8 July 2021. This process, called the Student Direct Stream or Volet direct pour les ├ętudes, can be completed within 20 days from the date of submission of the application.


Residence, with legal status, in one of the following countries:
Antigua and Barbuda
Costa Rica
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago
It is important to note that a person of nationality of one of these countries who resides abroad is not eligible under this accelerated process. However, a person who is a foreign national but has legal status in one of these countries is eligible for the accelerated process.

Have a letter of admission from a designated post-secondary educational institution.
Have paid the first year’s tuition/enrolment fee.
Have a Certificate of Guaranteed Investment worth CAD 10,000 or more. This is a document issued by an authorised Canadian financial institution (usually a bank) to guarantee that you have the amount of money indicated and that you will not be able to access these funds until you arrive in Canada. The money will be transferred back to you in monthly or bi-monthly instalments once you have arrived in Canada. You are usually required to make a transfer to Canada in order to obtain the Certificate and the authorised banks are listed in English and French. In case your study permit is denied, financial institutions have refund policies.
If you are going to study in Quebec, you must have the CAQ (Quebec Acceptance Certificate, or Temporary Selection Certificate).
Have an IELTS Academic or General English test with a score of 6.0 or higher in each skill, or a TEF French test with a score of level 7 or higher in each skill.
Have your most recent high school diploma or post-high school diploma (technical, professional, bachelor’s, master’s, specialization, etc.).
All other documents required by the Canadian visa office serving the country where you reside, including a medical examination and police certificate, if applicable.
Once you have gathered all these documents, submit the study permit application online. As for a regular study permit process, you can apply for an open work permit for your partner and a study permit for your children.


Leave a Comment